The Flu vaccine is available on an annual basis and is usually given late September/October. The Flu vaccine is recommended for patients considered to be at risk and include:
– All patients over 60 years of age
– All patients under 4 years of age
– All patients with chronic respiratory conditions, eg. Asthma
– All patients with Diabetes Mellitus and congenital heart disease
– All pregnant women over 28th week of gestation
Many patients choose to have the flu vaccine who are not included within an at risk group as detailed above.
We encourage vaccination as the vaccine is very safe and the impact of acute influenza can be very significant.
At The Brook Surgery we stock several different types of Flu vaccine including intra-muscular and intra-dermal inactivated vaccines as well as the live intra-nasal Fluenz vaccine licensed for patients aged 2-18 years.