The Flu vaccine is available on an annual basis and is usually given late September-November. The Flu vaccine is recommended for patients considered to be at risk and include:
– All patients over 60 years of age
– Children aged 2-11years
– All patients with chronic respiratory conditions, eg. Asthma
– All patients with Diabetes Mellitus and congenital heart disease
– All pregnant women over 28th week of gestation
Many patients choose to have the flu vaccine who are not included within an at risk group as detailed above.
We encourage vaccination as the vaccine is very safe and the impact of acute influenza can be very significant. There is also strong evidence of the severity of co-infection of Covid-19 and Influenza.
At The Brook Surgery we stock several different types of Flu vaccine including:
– Sanofi Pasteur Quadrivalent vaccine (ages 2-65yrs)
– AstraZeneca Fluenz Tetra intranasal vaccine (ages 2-18yrs)
– Sequiris Flucelvax Tetra (ages 2-65yrs)
– Sequiris Fluad Tetra (ages 65Yrs+)
– Sanofi Pasteur Supemtek (from 18yrs)
These are all similar to vaccines used in previous years and are only sourced directly from the top brands. The Sanofi Pasteur recombinant Supemtek is new this year and considered to be exciting novel technology that will give game-changing response. It will only be available from late October 2021 and be slightly more expensive than the other vaccines.